"Being young in the company" from the perspectives of young employees and superiors
The main objective of the research study was to capture the work ethic and operational experience of young men and women in order to develop HR recommendations in dealing with young employees. The focus was less on the objective business and entrepreneurial issues than on the subjective wishes, hopes and expectations of young collaborators.
As part of the research study, the integration of new employees into selected companies in the canton of Zurich was examined. This raises the question of which factors promote or hinder the transition from young employees to working life. In addition to the view of the young people, the perspective of their superiors is also captured (i.e. their perception of particular problems of adolescents). The comparison of self-perception and interpersonal perception reveals the extent extent of shortcomings in internal communication between young and older people in a business environment. In this context, the possibilities of a corporate policy geared to the needs of young people are clarified.
At the center of the study were the following main questions:
- What do young workers think about labor values, management and innovative forms of work?
- How do young women assess their job prospects and the relationship between family and work?
- How do young employees evaluate their supervisors and what factors influence this assessment?
- Which internal and external factors influence a favorable integration of new employees in a position or a company?
- To what extent do self-perception and interpersonal perception (perception of the youth, perception of the superiors) match the situation of young employees?
Schriftliche Befragung einerseits bei jungen Mitarbeitern und Mitarbeiterinnen (max. 30 Jahre alt) in grösseren Dienstleistungsbetrieben, andererseits schriftliche Befragung ihrer Vorgesetzten. Abschluss der schriftlichen Erhebung: Mitte Sept. 1996. Befragung wurde in 48 grösseren Zürcher Unternehmen aus dem Dienstleistungssektor (inkl. graphische Betriebe und Verlage) durchgeführt. Ausgefüllte Fragebogen: 2320 junge MitarbeiterInnen (Rücklaufquote 40%) und 943 Vorgesetzte (Rücklaufquote 45%).
|Ethical approval||No||Study type||
|Start - End date||01.01.1996 - 28.08.1997|